The question is not “Where can I build?”
“Which sites do I like best?”
Refugio de Los Angeles has many naturally open spaces, stable undisturbed ground that is relatively flat, protection from road noises, visual seclusion and privacy, natural beauty and formations, and proximity to slopes that provide natural ventilation in the building with updrafts in the morning and downdrafts in the evening.
The size and diversity of this property allows for responsible development without compromising its character and beauty.
Many of the building sites have spectacular panoramic views that extend to the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Nicoya. Other sites have grand mountain views, and other locations have more intimate views of hills and valleys.
The soils on the property are generally well suited for septic systems and leach fields.
- This extraordinary park-like property has the versatility to be maintained as a primary residence for an owner and personal guests, or perhaps be developed as a Bed & Breakfast destination.
- The permaculture principles can be further developed into commercial horticultural and medicinal applications.
- The infrastructure can be developed to support educational or instructional workshops and internships.
- Conference or retreat facilities can be developed for specific interests such as writers, musicians, yoga, alternative healing, birders, etc.
- The property could easily become home to an intentional community that cares about good ecological practices, permaculture practices, and the appreciation of harmonious living in a richly bio-diverse environment.
The site requirements for a small writer’s cabin are very different from the site requirements for a multifunction performance center. Refugio de Los Angeles has choice sites for both, and everything in-between.
This is of prime concern for most dwellings and other functional structures. The property already has farm roads that provide access via 4×4 vehicles and All Terrain Vehicles, (ATV’s).
Availability of Utilities:
- Electricity is already nearby to many building sites and can be extended to others. Some sites that are more secluded might be better served with simple photovoltaic solar systems.
- There is abundant water on the property and some building sites can easily be supplied through the existing water system. Other sites can be supplied by the development of other existing year around water sources.
- Cell phone service is available in virtually all locations on the property.
- Internet service is available in a number of locations depending on line of sight location to an independent service provider. Other sites can use cell phone signals to connect with the internet.